Stella and I had another great weekend in Anacortes this past Friday thru Sunday. It’s such an awesome little town! We had breakfast Saturday at Dad’s Diner on the main drag. It was excellent! We also did a bit more exploring around a few more of the docks than just our own. It’s always fun to look at all the other boats. Many are beautiful, some, not so much. And a few with so much dirt and grime we’re not even sure there was a real boat beneath! We had one very pleasant surprise when we ran across some harbor seals sunning themselves on the kayak platforms near Q dock. Two pairs – each with a mother and cub. The pair shown in the picture was definitely keeping their eyes on us. Another pair on the next slip over tried to slip into the water and come up on the dock with these two, but this mother wouldn’t put up with it. She started barking like crazy whenever they got close. She definitely did take up some space, but as you can see, there was plenty to spare. Dad was nearby out in the water, clearly keeping his distance and not wanting to get into any argument with the two ladies!
Back in our slip, we continued getting Southern Star ready for some travelling by replacing the cabinet door on the front of the galley. The original galley looked like what you see to the right. On top it has a fiberglass sink with a VERY small drain and a one-burner butane stove. The space below them is accessible through the door on the front right side. As you can see, the left side is much more difficult to access, with no door – just a couple of small inset shelves. I totally removed this front panel and repurposed the two small shelves by taking that portion of the front, cutting it down to size and then moving it to the left side of the unit. Then I finished the front with latching doors attached to roll out wire drawer units (each is about 11″ wide). I mounted them onto a 1/2 that glued and screwed along the front edge and also about 15″ back. That raised them just enough to clear the lower lip of the opening. The drawers had an accessory kit that attaches to the front of each for easy mounting of the door directly to the drawer. The alternative was to hinge the doors on the side and then have to pull out the drawer. The Admiral preferred this technique. While the left hand drawer does have some constraints to avoid the plumbing underneath, it gives dramatically better access to the space below the sink.I also replaced the sink with a stainless steel one of (approximately) the same size. I Just cut out the original (using the template supplies with the new one), and dropped the new one in its place. I also replaced the faucet with a much nicer one attached to my water pump and 25 gallon tank under the rear berth. If you’re curious, the red tape on the left faucet handle “locks” it in the off position. This is for connection to a future hot water supply, but currently is not connected to anything. So if you accidentally open it, water can freely pour out the bottom when you turn on the cold water. Not good. I do need to cap that off!
Then came what I think will be a really big improvement. I replaced the tank under our Dometic Sealand porta-potty with a tank that had built-in MSD hose fittings. This enabled me to attach it to hoses which lead to deck fittings that enable me to use the pump-out facilities at any marina. I no longer have to carry the (very heavy when full) tank to some dump facility to empty it. That had to be one of the worst tasks on the planet. Doing a pump-out isn’t particularly fun, but it’s a lot better than the alternative! I plan on moving the air line filter much closer to the back so it is more in the back, though neither hose is in the way. I’ll also be trying to cover over those hoses so they’re not quite so “in your face” and industrial in appearance. A cover with some carpeting like covers the hull walls might be the ticket there.
The last thing on our plate (for now) is to put a latching cover over the large opening I cut below the galley to make that space accessible to us again, since our galley is essentially fixed in place. I bought the wood, and I’ll be attaching it to the opening with hinges at the bottom and a latch (identical to the ones on the galley doors) at the top. That will open up several more cubic feet of storage space that is out of reach to us right now. And in a small boat like this, every cubit foot counts!
Till next time!